Monday, August 13, 2012

Two Stories

Today was the most gorgeous day we've had in a long time. I quite enjoy an overcast day from time to time and the temperature was phenomenal. We spent loads of time outside.

During our time outside, we attempted to go to the park twice, made it one of those two times, and also went on a walk that inadvertently ended up at the park. The second time down there I had changed into some jeans (I was previously wearing my workout clothes, it's not like the day got colder on us), and felt pretty self-conscious about half way there. I started wondering if I was bearing some skin. Not just any skin, I felt like my upper thighs were exposed. Did my jeans develop holes in them? They are super old. I only have two pair, so age, plus frequency of wear is a major concern at this point. So I discretely awkwardly tried to feel my upper thighs to see if they were covered. Inspecting your groin area in public is tricky business. Thankfully, I found that nothing was amiss. Things are definitely fraying down there, but so far, hanging in there. As I was walking, I couldn't figure out what would cause me to feel so unusual. Why was I even noticing this part of my body? I'm not entirely sure, but I believe I had a very public self-imposed pat down because I wasn't use to clothes that actually touch my upper thigh. My shorts and skirts do not cling like that.

Addy sleeps in a big girl bed. Have I ever explained how that happened on accident? Well, she sleeps on a low to the ground big girl bed with no safety rail. At first we had a spare mattress (which is stored under her bed) pulled out about 18" so if she fell off, so we land softly. After just a few issues with falling off in the first week, she's since mastered staying on the bed. Well my little miss independent has been having a few sleep issues. Waking in the night crying for us, holding us in death grips trying not to let us go before she falls asleep, etc. It's exhausting at times and frustrating, because we weren't sure what to do. Pete normally puts Addy to bed and he LOVES this time with her. He loves reading to her and cuddling her til she falls asleep. So he was pretty disappointed when we discussed that this might be a bad habit. We think if she falls asleep with us cuddling her, she is more likely to freak out in the night when we aren't there anymore. So we are making an effort to leave her when she's still awake. She is not going down without a fight though. Tonight she came out of her room about 5 times. Each time, I'd put her back in bed, and with each time, I'd make the kiss/love you's/night-nights a bit shorter. Making it clear that she was to be in bed and mommy was not staying to wait for her to fall asleep was the goal. It seems she got part of the message, because just when Pete was ready to throw in the towel, we heard her cry out for us (clearly out of bed and standing at her door), but when we went to look, she hadn't opened it. Or more accurately, she cracked the door open and then shut it again. This went on for awhile. We discussed and decided if she didn't come out of her room, we would let her be. Soon enough the crying stopped and we took dibs on whether she was asleep right in front of the door or if she crawled back in bed. Turns out I was right. We went to peak on her after an hour or so, and she had crawled into bed and was asleep on top of the covers with her Bible under her arm. It was a precious sight. Now let's just hope she sleeps all night. :)

Not a full story, so this doesn't count as 3.
Addy has learned the word "boog" as in booger. Any snot or booger is called "boog." Since she has had a runny nose the last few days it's been charming. Today at the park, her nose was running a lot, and so I decided to wipe it on my shirt since I had nothing else and there were neighbors there I wanted to not scare off after just one meeting. Much to my chagrin, when we got home, Addy had picked a booger and was holding it out to me saying, "shirt." This winter looks to be fun.

And some recent photos to reward you for reading so far.
Coloring at our friend Arlen's first birthday party. 



Devouring goldfish at Arlen's party.

Tried to take a picture of her awesome hair. It's a flipped under half pony with a fish tail braid on bottom. 

Puzzles are our favorite.

We could do the same one, over and over, and over, and over...

No comments:

Post a Comment