Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Unicorns

A real conversation that took place tonight:

Addy: "For my birthday can you get me a real unicorn with wings and a horn? And a unicorn bike with unicorn pedals. And a unicorn helmet?!"
Me: "Well...we can look for some things with unicorns on them, but we probably can't get you a real unicorn."
Addy: (distress appearing, on the verge of tears) "But why not Mommy?"
Me: "Because a real unicorn is not -"
Pete: (seeing where this is going) "don't, don't, don't"
Me: "- is not very affordable."
Addy: (lip tremble)
Me: "We might need to find a pot of gold first. Do you know where we can look for a pot of gold?" (feeling smug, I'm a redirection professional)
Addy: (euphoric) "Yes! I've got a pot of gold right here." (opens dresser drawer to find her 'golden nugget from St. Patrick's day at school. why yes, she does keep it in her dresser drawer.) "Sometimes I call my nugget a pot of gold."

Problem solved. I guess we are in the market for a real unicorn now.

No comments:

Post a Comment