Another one of Pete's sisters (Abby) arrived in St. Louis that night with her 2 friends who all flew in from the East coast to run the full marathon. I'm assured that there is "no way" they would have come to run this race if it wasn't for me, so it was pretty meaningful to me. Later I realized just how much it meant.
First thing Saturday we all set off for St. Louis to meet up with Abby and friends. Saturday was pretty uneventful, but it was a beautiful day and we enjoyed walking around and relaxing before the race.
Saturday night was a bit rough. I ended up waking up every hour. I think I was worried about Pete waking up on time to drive back and get to work by 6. Then the hotel alarm clock went off at 5am and woke Addy up too. So my day started early, but I checked my emails and found that my fundraising goal had been met overnight. Thanks to a few generous donors that finished off my last $400.
Besides seeing my friends Jenna and Nathan on the course (which was awesome!), I didn't know a single person along the course, but there were thousands of people out ringing bells, holding signs, cheering, and relaxing in really comfy looking chairs.
Emotionally the race was pretty taxing. I had a lot of time to think about my mom, and life, about taking care of my body better, and it was all good in its way. I'm so very sad my mom wasn't there to see me running for her. I wanted her to see that I was willing to support her by raising money and pushing my body physically beyond what it has ever done. I know she would have been all along the course cheering for me, just as she always did for my step-dad.
I miss her so much. It's so hard to think that she's gone and that she'll never be back. I wish our story was different. I wish I didn't have a paralyzing fear of cancer. I wish I could make Christmas cookies with her and call her on the phone to tell her all about life right now. I wish she was still here. I wish it so very very much.
Proud to be your friend doesn't even come close to describing how I feel. Amazed. Blessed. in the presence of beauty. All of those things. Girl, you exemplify your blog title. You are amazing in this life. And you are going to be shining in the next. May the Lord bless you and keep you, in this difficult time and throughout your life. I love you!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on your half marathon, Ash. So impressed with you! I feel like I have so many things to say to you.. Wish we could hang out in person. Maybe some day soon when youre feeling up to it we can have a phone date. love ya!
ReplyDeleteSweet, sweet post. So very proud of you. Love you.
ReplyDelete