Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Halloween

Turns out I'm kind of a crumugen. I have lived in the dorms or an apartment every year since high school. I've never had my own trick or treaters. I was totally caught off guard.

While most of my trick or treaters were sweet kids, these things really shocked me:
- Adults who had their own candy bag. Even if you dress up, you should not take candy as an adult. I didn't know I needed to tell people this.
- Kids who didn't dress up. There was only one, but come on! At least put in some effort - candy is expensive!
- Scary costumes. What?! I like the fun costumes! Zombies? Cleavers sticking out of your chest? You made my baby cry! Why do people want to dress like that for trick or treating? Go work at a Haunted House if that's your thing.
- Ringing my doorbell when I have a Please Knock sign clearly covering it. Please do not take the time to read the note and then ring the bell anyway. If I had been at the door I would not have given you candy.
- Not saying anything, just holding out your bag or sticking your hand in the candy bowl. At least say Trick or Treat! For sure you should say thank you!
- Taking 12 pieces of candy. My poor friend was handing out candy and got mobbed by 6 kids at once. Some sneaky little girl kept taking handfuls of candy.

I was really put off by the greed I saw last night. It makes me really think about what I want to teach Addy about this holiday. I love dressing up, I love giving out candy (and eating some), and I love having a party, but I don't love greed, selfishness, and being disrespectful.

3 comments:

  1. Preach it, girl! There was a lot going on last night. Some of it was adorable. Some of it, not so much. Amazing how our sinful human nature even comes out in fun stuff. Glad we got to spend the day with you and your fairy princess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned last year that I need to take one piece of candy and put it in the kid's buckets. People used to just hold the candy bowl out in our neighborhood, but my mother had taught me well that, "You only take one". Last year we had about 5 trick-or-treaters who took almost one entire bag of candy from my bucket. Crazy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sad. I'm glad I'll never have to worry about your little cutie-pie turning into that!

    ReplyDelete