Sunday, November 6, 2011

Sick girl

**There are references to puke in this post.**

We've been so lucky at how healthy Addy has been. Sure, she has had a constant runny nose and perpetual cough since starting daycare, but I hardly count that. :)

Last night, as we were getting ready for bed I asked Pete if he'd go in and cover Addy with a heavier blanket. We can't do it right when we put her down, because she'll just ball it up and sleep on it like a big pillow. She's a snuggler.

I heard her cough and some funny noises, but since Pete was in there I didn't worry about it. Then he called my name and I jumped out of bed to see what was happening. He was standing in the hall with her. She had been throwing up in her room, right as he walked in. Poor thing! I'm so thankful Pete went in there right then. So he gave our girl a bath while I cleaned up and we debated whether she has the flu or what happened. Since she definitely didn't have a fever, we thought she just gagged from coughing and one thing led to another. That was a fine theory until I had her in her pajamas and she threw up all over me. She must have ate something that went bad. We still can't decide what, but I'm avoiding just about everything she ate yesterday, just in case.

Because of all this, the girl slept in our bed, which means I didn't actually sleep at all. However, the peace of mind was worth it. Through the whole thing the little lady was so sweet. She cried a little after getting sick, but who wouldn't? She snuggled and smiled, and was super playful this morning. She's pretty worn out though. She's rounding out a 2 hour nap as I type. I think I'll let her sleep.

I know I'm a mother because - I didn't even flinch when my kid puked on me. 

2 comments:

  1. ***Disclaimer: This is probably the longest comment ever written.

    I hate that. I'm so glad that Pete walked in. One night, when Nora had the flu, I just had an inkling to go check on her. She was covered in it...poor girl. And she was just laying there. She didn't cry or anything. It was terrible. And she won't sleep in our bed, so I set my alarm to check on her every 30 minutes. ***Probably not necessary. She had the flu off and on for 3 months last winter, and I'm with you. She threw up several times while I was holding her, and I just held her and didn't even worry about clean up until she had calmed down. Puke used to be one of my top two fears (the other is tornadoes, if you're wondering), but not when it's my girl. Addy is so lucky to have you. What is with kids getting sick right before their first birthday?

    ReplyDelete