Wake at 5am, get Adalie up at 5:20, feed her, put her in carseat, pick up Kelli and drive to Kansas City. Addy gets restless, but we make it without stopping, thanks to a quick little 30 minute nap.
Got to the airport in plenty of time, in fact, came in just 10 minutes before the rest of the crew flying with us (7 of us flew together, 2 others met us down here).
Flight #1 is to Chicago, and it went ok. The guy next to us, really had nothing to complain about. She whimpered a bit, but slept some too. My husband is a baby whisperer, I swear. (Sorry for the blurry pic of his face, it's my iphone and I love my iphone, but it is not a fancy camera or anything).
Get to Chicago, things going well enough, but can tell the little lady needs a nap pretty bad. It's noon and the girl has maybe had 50 minutes (normal would be about 2-3 hours at that time of day). So what do I see near our gate at the airport? A Cracker Barrel rocking chair! How did that thing get there? With Adalie in the Ergo carrier and me in the rocker, that girl was almost asleep. And then it happened. She puked. Repeatedly. I felt her body heave and saw the look on Pete's face from right beside me. Our flight was starting to board, so we were rushing to get cleaned up. Up to this point, Addy had been in her PJs, and I had 2 spare outfits, so no biggie. Swap clothes - cute little fishie onesie and I took off my hoodie and had a relatively clean tshirt underneath. We're good. Thanks to some advice, I had packed each outfit in a ziplock, so I put the dirties in there. I did not take a picture of this. You're welcome.
This flight, we find out, stops in Nashville before landing in Panama City Beach. Oh great. More takeoffs and landings (mostly just the landing seemed to bother her poor little ears). Since we had 7 people, I sat by myself hoping no one would sit next to me and I'd have an extra seat to play with Addy. Nope. All of our flights yesterday were packed. So Addy was sitting on grandma's lap playing contently. When she pooped. All over grandma. I'm convinced this would not have happened with cloth diapers, but we decided to use disposables this week. Like a champ, grandma wiped it up, Pete took Addy to the back to get her changed (outfit #3) and I sat helpless in the row behind. Poor girl was losing liquids fast.
Landed in Nashville and had to stay on the plane. Little girl was NOT pleased. So I rocked and held and swayed and that sweet thing fell asleep. I loved it. I sat there swaying as people got on the plane.
That's when I saw this guy holding a baby that I thought I recognized. Weird. Then I saw the mom that went with the man and his baby. I totally knew them! I mean - I feel like I know them. It was Libby from Don't Waste Your Cancer! Naturally, I stopped her and asked if she was Libby, to which she looked a bit surprised, but said yes. I then felt a bit silly for acting like I had just met a celebrity, but thought it was cool to run into someone I had just been reading about for the past 7 months. I mean, I have cried for this family! It was a bit surreal, but mostly pretty cool. We even chatted by baggage claim.
It was an interesting trip, and it doesn't exactly get me excited for the return, but we're here now and enjoying every minute of it.


Oh man! Glad you survived the flight there and the pics of Addy on the beach are already delicious! Can't wait to see more. I met a bloggy friend (aka a noted blogger I follow who has no idea I exist) and was totally the same way! I think it's normal when you get to know these people's lives. Can't wait to have you at home but hope you're having fun!
ReplyDeleteHow fun! (Meeting the blogger,not the airport puke.) Blogs are like reality TV for cool people. :)
ReplyDeleteSo fun to hear about your traveling adventures!!
ReplyDeleteSounds like it's going pretty well. Still can't believe you met Libby. I'm starstruck!!! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks guys - glad I am not alone in being a bit awestruck by meeting someone I feel like I know just from reading her blog for months. Blogs are crazy.
ReplyDelete