Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Daycare and I aren't on good terms right now

I'm struggling with daycare. Addy keeps "peeing out" or "blowing out" her diapers. She RARELY does this for us at home. So inquired about them needed better instructions on how to put them on (it's not rocket science I swear). Nope, they have been putting them on correctly.

They fed my child 30 ounces of formula today. In addition to cereal, veggies, fruit, and yogurt. Not terrible really, except I had given her an 8 ounce bottle this morning. And she only napped 30 minutes today. Was she just super hungry? I say no, I bet she was super tired. 30 minutes of napping is not sufficient and she would have undoubtedly been crying after not sleeping all day.

Why not have some flexibility? I try to. Really, I do. I don't say things have to be done at a certain time or at a certain interval even. Ok, maybe I give a little instruction like 6-8 ounces every 3-4 hours. But come on. I pay these people almost $1,000/month and I expect they should understand the difference between a tired baby and a hungry baby.

Do you think I'm overreacting? If so, please don't comment on this. I would like only people who will sympathize and console me.

By the way, can I just say it's been a really rough past 2 weeks and that certainly adds to the frustrations with basically everything. I know that. My morale for this story is that daycare is hard. Sending your kid to be cared for by someone else all day is not easy. My child spending more time being raised by someone else than she is by me? Not sure how I feel about this one, but I'm trying to give things more time before I make drastic changes.

6 comments:

  1. I don't think you are asking too much. When you are paying someone, especially such a significant amount, you should have things done according to your likeness....within reason of course, but anyone who knows you knows that you are completely reasonable. And I always tell the parents of the children that I work with, "You are your child's best advocate". You are her mother, that's all you can do....advocate for what you know she needs and is best for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Amy. I know they have a lot of kids to take care of, but that doesn't mean they can't be receptive to each child's needs, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry ash. I agree that feeding your kid some extra milk because she might be fussy because she is tired, is not right. Did you talk with them at all about it? Are you satisfied with the daycare otherwise? If so, maybe this phase will pass quickly because addy will learn to nap better there? I don't know the answer, but I do have sympathy and support for you :-). I'm also sorry you've had such a bad couple weeks! I'll say a prayer for you right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think all of this is normal--not neurotic. You know Addy. You know what she needs. Keep pressin. It took you a little while to figure her out--likewise, it will probably take them a little while. But I think it's fine to let them know your feelings on the matter. I'll be praying for this situation. I know there are no easy decisions when it comes to day care but I pray you will be at peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You all are so sweet. I am slightly embarrassed by my reaction yesterday and know that it was definitely enhanced by the stress from work and other parts of life. However, I do think I should be able to expect more from my daycare than the volunteers who work at church on Sunday morning. I don't want to be overbearing, but darn it, I want my child to be cared for in the best way, that allows her to grow physically and mentally and sleeping and eating well are so very important to that. Having to bring my child home from daycare and put the poor tired child straight to bed is not fun either. I want to be able to play with her and let her know I love her even when I can't play with her all day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah. I wish I could play with her when I came home too.

    ReplyDelete